After 10 years of service, it's time for me to move on from my role as Chairman of the HQ Management committee.
I've been involved with the local Scouting and Guiding groups since my children joined Beavers and Rainbows. For the last 10 years I've served on the 1st Wymondham Scouts and Guides Hall Management committee, first as Secretary and then as Chairman.
There have been many memorable projects and events organised by the committee. For me some of the highlights are:
- Replacing rotting wooden windows with double glazing
- Replacing the heating system
- Replacing the kitchen
- Replacing the lighting
- Obtaining grant funding, including £8750 for the kitchen, £2500 for the lighting, £1400 towards the windows.
- Painting the exterior and fitting a new building sign
- Setting up the website and deploying Internet WiFi
- Organising grounds and garden maintenance, and storage sortout days
- Liasing with the group leaders using the hall
- Liasing with related external organisations, eg the Norwich Area Scout Trust to manage loans
- Overseeing regular maintenance of heating and fire safety systems, and monitoring cleaning contractors
- Sorting out waste management
- Many bag-pack fundraising events
- Too many sewage blockages!
- And lots of regular bill paying, meetings, email and administration
As it stands, the building is in a good state, the groups continue to be happy meeting there, social relations are good, and we enjoy a healthy financial situation. Now it's time for me to move on to focus on other things, and give the opportunity for some new blood to take over: I will be stepping down as Chairman at our next AGM in September.
For me this has been an extremely rewarding way to support my local community, and it has been inspiring to see so many friendly, talented, generous and dedicated people come together in support of a common goal. I'd encourage anyone to approach your local Scouting and Girl Guiding groups to see how you can help; I can guarantee that help is badly needed and will be very much appreciated.
And of course I wish to express my warmest thanks to the leaders of our Wymondham Scouts and Guides, all the team members of the management committee, and parents, past and present, for their hard work and support. I shall treasure many warm memories.